[abc-announce] [abc] abc version 1.2.0 released

From: Pavel Avgustinov <pavel.avgustinov@magdalen.oxford.ac.uk>
Date: Sat Apr 22 2006 - 02:10:04 BST

The abc team is pleased to announce the release of version 1.2.0 of abc.
This is mainly a maintenance release; when version 1.1.1 was released,
certain optimisations for the tracematching extension of abc introduced
a new dependency on the Apache Commons Collections when they were used.
The new release removes those dependencies by implementing the relevant
functionality in the abc runtime.

It is important to note that the benchmark measurements for tracematches
from http://abc.comlab.ox.ac.uk/pubslist still use the Commons
Collections, and in fact we have observed some difference in performance
when compared to our new implementation. The original behaviour can
therefore be restored by passing abc the '-debug useCommonsCollections'
flag, to make our results reproducible.

As usual, the release can be downloaded from
http://aspectbench.org/download, a full changelog can be found below.

Cheers,
Pavel (on behalf of the abc team)

Users:

- The 'indexing' optimisation for tracematches now doesn't introduce a
further dependency by default, but uses classes provided in the abc
runtime. The old behaviour can be restored by passing abc the flag
'-debug useCommonsCollections'; doing this will of course require a
Commons Collections jar on the classpath. Our preliminary experiments
suggest that our implementation is slightly slower than the Commons
Collections on 1.4 JVMs, but slightly faster on 1.5 JVMs.