[abc-dev] the Join operator extension for AspectJ

From: Gunny Lee <gunny.lee@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 21:41:02 GMT

I would like to add a new operator to the AspectJ compiler, called
join. However, I was told that one of you guys were already working on
an operator very much like this one, and I'd like to touch base with
that person. But first, let me explain what the operator would do.

The purpose of the join operator would be to take two aspects and
(surprise) join them as one. For example, consider you have an aspect
where after A.foo() has been called, it makes a call to the logger
(basically as an after advice). Now say you have another aspect where
after A.bar() has been called, it makes the same call to the logger.
Suppose you want to combine these two aspects (it may be easier to
think of them as services), and say you want to make the call to the
logger only after *both* A.foo() and A.bar() has been called. This is
what the join operator would do.

So if indeed this is being worked on already and you know who, please
let me know. I'd be very interested in the implementation (if it is
complete) or otherwise helping with the development efforts.

Thanks!
Gunny