RE: RE: [abc-users] Using abc for instrumentation

From: Young G <lhasariverside@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon May 29 2006 - 01:53:58 BST

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your reply and hints.

By following your papers, tutorials and EAJ code, I've
managed to insert a new pass into abc and rewrite some
AST nodes to inject instrumentation code. I'm now
injecting the code by inserting AST nodes, which are
constructed by hard coding. I was wondering, by any
chance, if we can insert code with plain text like
"System.out.println ("hello");" instead of its
corresponding AST nodes? or if there is an easy way to
convert/parse a statement into its AST representation?
Guess not...It sounds unreasonable to me.

Well, another workaround to the tediousness of
constructing AST nodes for inserted statements is
rewriting source files while instrumenting. Can you
please advice me of if and how we can instruct abc to
start over the compilation process from my extension?

Thank you very for your help!

Young