RE: RE: [abc-users] Using abc for instrumentation

From: Eric Bodden <eric.bodden@mail.mcgill.ca>
Date: Mon May 29 2006 - 23:43:20 BST

Hi again.

> 1. to insert a new pass into abc to inject instrumentation code (plain
> statements) into original source files;

Well, this would be a transformation on the AST, right?

> 2. to abort abc's current compilation;

... throwing away the modified AST?

> 3. to instruct abc to start over a new compilation to compile the
> modified source files into bytecode.
> And what I'd like to know is how to abort and re-start abc's
> compilation from an intermediate pass. If I still don't make myself
> clear, please ignore it :) Your QQ hint will nicely solve my problem
> anyway.

Well, in a nutshell: This is not gonna work. abc/polyglot are simply not
designed for this. (But I don't consider this a limitation - the clean
way to do transformations is always to do them at least on the AST
level.)

Have fun with QQ, this should work :-)

Eric