From: Mariusz Nowostawski [mailto:mariusz@marni.otago.ac.nz]
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2001 21:16
To: Anton Spaans
Cc: sablecc-list
Subject: RE: SableCC hangs when 'compiling' a grammar

Ok,

I have played a little, to make optimizing faster (hmmmm, it supposed to
be less memory consuming, huh? ;), anyway, all the simple stuff I could do
I have done, making some of the classes final for the compiler to inline
the code, etc, but there is no easy way of making it use less memory. One
could use primitive types more often and get rid of thousends of created
objects, but it is not easy to achieve without major redoing of DFA
core, and.. it would make a nightmare to maintain it I guess.

and.. I have done  the lazy check of other grammars:  Java grammar has
something about 860 states to optimize and ecmascript (1.7 from
sourceforge/scriptonite) 1751 states.

so, good luck with the grammar hacking! ;o)

best regards
Mariusz