[Soot-list] Accelerating loop convergence

Patrick LAM plam at sable.mcgill.ca
Sun Aug 21 23:36:00 EDT 2005

Ajay Lal wrote:
> Hey hows it going?
>
> Im recently implementing a Integer range analysis using the soot
framework by
> extending ForwardBranchedFlowAnalysis.
>
> At the moment it handles loops where the loop branch condition is low,
but if the condition
> is very large it takes a very long time to terminate.
>
> I have been told about the concept of Widening, and would like to know
or be pointed to some
> information that will let me know hot the soot framework implements
widening.

Hi Ajay,

Widening is specific to the analysis you're implementing.  If you want to
implement widening in Soot, you'll need to set up a HashMap counting how
many times you visit a particular statement and widen when the HashMap
returns an appropriately high number.

A useful reference on an application of widening (perhaps exactly what you
want) is,

Clark Verbrugge, Phong Co and Laurie Hendren.  "Generalized Constant
Propagation A Study in C", Compiler Construction 1996.

http://www.sable.mcgill.ca/~clump/papers/CC96.ps

pat