[Soot-list] practical virtual method call resolution

Ondrej Lhotak olhotak at sable.mcgill.ca
Tue Oct 11 12:24:49 EDT 2005

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 04:14:33PM -0700, Jasen Carrol wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently doing research on java code analysis
> and I ran into the need for virtual method call
> resolution. I found the paper on "Practical Virtual
> Method Call Resolution" by Vijay Sundaresan et al. and
> it describes exactly what I need to accomplish. Does
> anyone know if and how I can obtain the code to that
> project? I would greatly appreciate it.

The VTA analysis was re-implemented in Soot at least three separate
times by different people. The latest implementation evolved into Spark.
The other implementations were removed from current versions of Soot
because they were no longer being maintained, but you can find them in
the Subversion repository if you dig far enough back in time. Spark has
a switch which sets all its settings so that it performs VTA:
-p cg.spark vta:on
Also, whenever using Spark, you need to put Soot in whole-program
mode using the -w switch.

Ondrej