[Soot-list] how to optimize with soot

Szasz Pal space at spacesoftwarestudio.com
Thu Oct 20 12:58:57 EDT 2005

Hi!

I was searching the internet for some java bytecode optimizer program,
when I found soot. I tried it with the attached (compiled) class file
using the following command line:

$ java -classpath
jasminclasses-2.2.2.jar:sootclasses-2.2.2.jar:polyglotclasses-1.3.2.jar
soot.Main -d out -process-dir in -cp
in:/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2/jre/lib/rt.jar -O

The compiled A.class is in the 'in' subdirectory.
The resulted file in the 'out' subdirectory is smaller (514 vs 600
bytes), but if I decompile it I get:

   [...]
   static public void main(String[] s1) {
     A.setField(10);
     out.println(A.getField());
   }
   [...]

I would expected it to be inlined, ie. to get something like:

   [...]
   static public void main(String[] s1) {
     field = 10;
     out.println(field);
   }
   [...]

What am I doing wrong? Or have I misunderstood something, and soot is
not designed for this?

Thank you in advance!

--
Best regards,