[Soot-list] bug in the Jimple parser

Guillaume Salagnac guillaume.salagnac at imag.fr
Mon Sep 26 11:36:06 EDT 2005

Hello,

I was trying to improve Soot's whole-program running time, which is more
than two minutes here, so i tried to make it load pre-generated jimple
files instead of parsing .class files.

But it seems to me that there is a bug (or several) in the Jimple
parser. Here is a simple invocation of Soot which shows the same
problem:

In an empty directory, I run twice the following command :

java soot.Main -src-prec jimple -f jimple -d .  java.lang.Math

The first time, Soot creates a file named java.lang.Math.jimple, in the
current directory (because of the -d option). The second time, as I have
'.' in my classpath, Soot tries to parse this file but it crashes with
an exception at soot.jimple.parser.JimpleAST.<init>.

I suspect the 'strictfp' keyword to be the cause of the problem, as Soot
crashes exactly in the same way on the java.lang.StrictMath class.

There is also a crash when trying to parse the jimple generated for the
java.lang.Integer class, but the exception is not the same.

I'm using JDK version 1.4.2, and Soot 2.2.2. I can send more detailed
information if needed (problematic jimple files, stack traces, etc).

Am I the only one to have this bug, or am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks for your help,
-G

--
Guillaume Salagnac
PhD student, Vérimag Laboratory, Grenoble, France.