[Soot-list] Compiling Soot

Michael Robert BATCHELDER mbatch at cs.mcgill.ca
Fri Jan 20 17:10:33 EST 2006

Hello folks,

I'm trying to compile soot but I am having a problem. Specifically, the
ant task is failing with an error message that is stating that javac pukes
on an 'outOfMemory' error. I've tried adding compilerarg tags to the javac
task in the build.xml file to increase the initial and maximum heap sizes
but with no luck (i.e. -Xms500m and -Xmx900m). I also tried '-J-Xms500m'
since that seems to be the proper way to send those parameters to javac,
but the ant task fails with an error: invalid javac parameter.
Nevertheless, running javac myself on the commandline accepts this
parameter just fine.

Everyone else in the Sable lab that I have talked to reports being able to
compile soot without any problems using just the default ant settings and
build file. The machine I am using has 1gig of RAM which, when I check the
memory usage while ant is running, is certainly not being exhausted.

Does anyone have any ideas, hints, or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Michael Batchelder

Sable Research Lab
School of Computer Science