[Soot-list] Structure of Soot (OO Design)

Kyle Lahnakoski kyle at arcavia.com
Mon Jun 5 20:26:10 EDT 2006

My post put a poor light on Soot, which is not the whole story.

I chose Soot because it had a great number of optimizations.  Soot's
cyclic dependencies are difficult to deal with, but that is only a
problem when trying to separate it from other 'components' of Soot.

Hayden Melton's paper mentioned

    /Perhaps as Foote et. al. imply the programmers of the system have
    hidden these cyclically dependent classes away behind a Facade so
    they no longer have to deal with them --"if you can't easily make
    a mess go away, at least cordon it off" [15]./

Which is what Soot appears to do; adding Transformer and FlowAnalysis
code is almost easy  And running Soot is even easier (thanks to Options
-> PackManager -> Transform
-> Transformer cycle).

Soot is very good for what is was meant to do.

Kyle Lahnakoski                                       kyle at arcavia.com
(416) 892-7784                                    Arcavia Software Ltd