[Soot-list] Re(de)compilation of unmodified .class files

Patrick Lam plam at cs.mcgill.ca
Tue Apr 10 20:35:30 EDT 2007

Mario Mendez wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I noticed that Soot processes all the .class files every time is
> invoked, independently of whether they have been modified or not. Is
> there any flag to change that behavior?
>
> I'm trying to compile Jimple to another intermediate language (through a
> SceneTransformer) and it would be really efficient to automatically
> avoid calling it -and every single previous transformation- for those
> .class that didn't change.

Hi Mario,

If you have no dependences between the different files that you're
processing, then in principle Soot shouldn't need to create Jimple for
the files that it's not updating, which would save you some time.  How
closely linked are your different classes?  How many classes are
application classes vs. library classes?

Note that Soot can read Jimple files, but that this doesn't seem to have
saved us any time.

pat