[Soot-list] NullPointerException in retrieveActiveBody

mbatch at cs.mcgill.ca mbatch at cs.mcgill.ca
Tue Jan 30 14:39:07 EST 2007

> Thanks for your quick reply. However I am not sure whether this is
> related to class loading or not as when I remove the try catch block from
> my program Test123, it is working fine. Do you think that there can be an
> issue in class loading when I use try catch block in my class?

It appears as though the first line of the method soot.AnySubType.v() is
throwing the NullPointer:

if( base.getAnySubType() == null )

Which means the parameter "RefType base" is null in this case.

>From your previous email, this suggests that either (or both) of:

Scene.v().getRefType("java.lang.ClassFormatError")

and

Scene.v().getRefType("java.lang.Error")

Are the cause of these null pointers. This means that the scene is unable
to resolve java.lang.error or java.lang.classformaterror (or both).. which
suggests you have a class path problem.

Make sure the runtime jars are in your soot classpath. specifically:
<jre or jdk path>/lib/rt.jar, etc.

Good luck,

Michael