[Soot-list] Adding transformations before a whole-program pack

Patrick Lam plam at sable.mcgill.ca
Wed Jan 31 22:58:37 EST 2007

Eric Bodden wrote:
> I am not at all sure why this was designed that way, but apparently it is. I think this needs fixing. Can anybody of the more senior Soot developers comment on that?

I was in fact just looking at the jb pack today.  (I was trying to see
if I could speed up Soot by not building good Jimple for library
classes.  Unfortunately, it seems that if you build worse Jimple, then
the subsequent analyses --- at least those for abc --- take more time.
You can actually speed up Soot itself if you don't clean up the Jimple.)

The jb pack is sort of weird in that there are a bunch of things
happening inside; for instance it conditionally executes the local name
splitter and runs some timers.  These could be done by manipulating what
gets put into the pack instead; that would probably be a good idea.

The code to populate jb is in PackManager and the code to run the
analyses is in JimpleBodyPack.  If you want to fix that, it's probably
not a bad idea.

pat