[Soot-list] How to use soot as an effective command line bytecode optimizer

Mark Friedman mark.friedman at gmail.com
Thu May 24 13:37:05 EDT 2007

After reading as much of the Soot documentation as I could in last couple of
days, I'm still confused as to how to use soot as an effective command line
bytecode optimizer.  In particular, a few things remain obscure to me.  The
first is whether whole-program mode and whole-program optimization is
'safe', i.e. will whole-program optimizations produce incorrect code if it
turns out that the program loads unknown files through reflection or other
means.  The second issue is some guidance on which analysis and optimization
phases should be used for the most effective performance optimizations?  I
know that in some cases there might be time-space tradeoffs and I would be
interested in knowing where there tradeoffs might apply.  Finally, it's not
clear to me which, if any, phases are executed by default and which ones
must be turned on explicitly.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Mark