[Soot-list] Question about using Soot for instrumentation

Bharathi Seshadri seshadri_bharathi at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 20:14:57 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm new to soot. I'm trying to explore ways of using
Soot to add code to a Java program to do some kind of
dynamic tracing.

I see that Soot can be used to instrument class files.

Can I use soot to match a particular signature and add
code to extract arguments and return values of that
function (i.e., add code to prologue and epilogue of
the matched function to extract some information out
of it)?

I would appreciate if someone could let me know if
this level of an instrumentation is feasible with soot
and if there are any relevant examples available that
I can refer to in this regard.

Thanks much,
Bharathi