[Soot-list] annotation bug? (was: Java 1.5 annotations)

Will Benton willb at cs.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 30 13:26:09 EDT 2008

On Apr 29, 2008, at 9:23 PM, Eric Bodden wrote:

> Torbjorn is busy working on annotation support. Please grant him a few
> more days to sort out the last quirks. If you check out today's SVN
> version of Soot you should find full support for annotations with
> retention type CLASS or RUNTIME, if read from source code.

Glad to hear it!  I should clarify that I was using revision 3198
before and that I was not exercising the new frontend, so my main
concern is the output issue.

> Therefore we will probably decide not to retain local variable
> annotations until somebody specifically asks for this feature.

Would it be possible to annotate Jimple locals and then have these
annotations preserved in the class file?  (Or, more generally, to
support local variable annotations only on code exclusively generated
by and processed by Soot?)  This would make some things easier for
me.  If not, I can find a workaround.

> I will look into this one, too. As you state correctly, this seems
> rather unrelated to the frontend issue.

I appreciate it; thanks!

best,
wb