[Soot-list] one question about inter-procedural def-use analysis

Richard L. Halpert richardlhalpert at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 11:40:54 EDT 2008

Ahmer Ahmedani did his Master's Thesis on this topic, using Soot: Ahmer
Ahmedani's Master's Thesis: Information flow in a Java intermediate language
<http://www.sable.mcgill.ca/publications/thesis/#ahmerMastersThesis>.

Also, I wrote the soot.jimple.toolkits.infoflow package which tracks
explicit information flow (flow via assignments, but not via control
decisions).  The package is not very user friendly.  You would have to
invoke it manually by constructing an InfoFlowAnalysis object (no command
line option).  It works by generating a whole-program data flow graph (using
a very conservative approximation for flow occuring within the class
library).  The analysis will then provide you with flow summaries for each
method that describe what method parameters, class fields, and static fields
flow to each other or to the method's return value.  There are some
granularity options for the results, and also the option to include or
exclude primitive data flow (ie, you can do just objects if you want).

-Richard