[Soot-list] tracking down class-resolver problems

William Benton willb at cs.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 26 16:09:37 EST 2008

Hi all,

Basically, I'd like some way to see why soot thinks it needs to
resolve a particular class -- is there an option to do so?  (I have
tried -debug-resolver, but either it does not do what I want or I am
not able to interpret its output properly.)  Details follow:

I'm trying to run soot on the DaCapo suite (built using the "depzip"
target).  I'm running into some very odd class resolution problems on
several benchmarks, such as this one from chart:

> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: couldn't find
> class: com.lowagie.text.xml.SAXmyHandler (is your soot-class-path
> set properly?)
> 	at soot.SootResolver.bringToHierarchy(SootResolver.java:133)
> 	at soot.SootResolver.bringToSignatures(SootResolver.java:166)
> 	at soot.SootResolver.bringToBodies(SootResolver.java:207)
> 	at soot.SootResolver.processResolveWorklist(SootResolver.java:94)
> 	at soot.SootResolver.resolveClass(SootResolver.java:83)
> 	at soot.Scene.loadClass(Scene.java:367)
> 	at soot.Scene.loadClassAndSupport(Scene.java:352)
> 	at soot.Scene.loadNecessaryClass(Scene.java:899)
> 	at soot.Scene.loadNecessaryClasses(Scene.java:918)
> 	at soot.Main.run(Main.java:169)
> 	at soot.Main.main(Main.java:145)

Now, my soot-class-path is set properly, containing chart.jar, chart-
deps.jar, and the bootstrap class files.  Furthermore, the version of
iText (com.lowagie.text) that DaCapo chart is built against doesn't
include a SAXmyHandler class.  So I'm curious why or where this class
might be referenced from chart.jar or chart-deps.jar -- what's the
best way to discover this?

I'm using the latest subversion release (r3116); I didn't have similar
problems with soot 2.2.3 and DaCapo.  I am analyzing against GNU
Classpath, but that shouldn't impact classes outside of the standard
library.  I've attached a minimal script that reproduces this problem
(distilled down from the analyses I'm actually running).

Thanks for reading!
wb