[Soot-list] tracking down class-resolver problems

Will Benton willb at cs.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 28 14:52:23 EST 2008

Thanks for all your help, Chris.

> Sorry, what did you have to delete?

 From chart, I had to delete com.lowagie.servlets.ITextOutputFilter.
It appears to not be referenced anywhere else in the application and
it was the only reference to the SAXmyHandler class.

>> Yes, the problem I've had with xalan (and fop) is that I can't
>> build and analyze them against GNU Classpath (which I want to do
>> because I will be running them in Jikes).  They won't build against
>> any of the GNU Classpath libraries I have installed (because they
>> are JDK 1.5 libraries), and if I build them against the Sun JDK,
>> they will contain references to classes that aren't in GNU
>> Classpath, so they won't analyze.  If anyone has a solution for
>> this (or a suggestion for a suitably ancient version of Classpath),
>> I'd appreciate hearing about it.
>
> Try -source 1.4

I did try this, both in the ant properties and on the command line.  I
am under the impression that -source only affects syntactic issues
(e.g. assert, enum, generics, etc.) and that -target only affects the
generated bytecodes.

Neither -source nor -target solves the problem I'm having -- namely,
that the org.w3c.dom.Node interface has some methods in Java 1.5 that
it does not in Java 1.4, and classes depended upon by fop and xalan
subclass the "old" version of this interface.  Since these classes
don't implement all of the methods in the "new" version of the
interface, it looks like I'm stuck.

I suppose I could a very old version of Classpath for these two
benchmarks, or hack the Node interface in the current release, but
neither is a particularly appealing solution.

best,
wb