[Soot-list] java.lang.ref.Finalizer

Khilan Gudka khilan.gudka at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Mar 11 08:29:20 EDT 2008

Dear All,

I'm running soot + spark with Sun Java 1.5 with 1.3 libs (rt.jar,tools.jar,
sunrsasign.jar) prepended to the classpath. I've been comparing static and
dynamic call graphs (using probe with soot and starj) and have a question
about one particular edge that appears at run-time but doesn't appear in
spark's call graph:

java.security.Security: initialize() ===> java.lang.ref.Finalizer:
register(Ljava/lang/Object;)

The call to register(Object) exists because a FileInputStream is constructed
in initialize(), which has a finalize() method. Why does it not appear in
spark's call graph? This class isn't loaded by reflection, so the
-dynamic-class flag doesn't work, register(Object) is an implicit invokation
by the JVM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Khilan