[Soot-list] build error with soot

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed May 28 15:32:07 EDT 2008

This is interesting. Another student at McGill just encountered the
same problem. I suspect that the issue is that Chain<E> provides a
method remove(E) but extends also interface AbstractCollection<E>
which, strangely, has instead a method remove(Object). Depending on
the compiler that is used (!) this apparently may or may not give you
a compiler error. I have no idea which compiler is right though. My
feeling is that remove(E) should be ok because it's compiled down to
remove(Object) anyway, but I am not an expert on generics.

Anyway: I changed remove(E) to remove(Object) in the SVN version of Soot.

Eric

2008/5/28 Bharathi Seshadri <seshadri_bharathi at yahoo.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build 2.2.5 version of soot (no changes
> made) from the sources. I'm using eclipse version
> 3.1.2
>
> I followed the steps given in
> http://www.sable.mcgill.ca/soot/soot_in_eclipse_howto.html
>
> When I do a build, I'm getting similar errors in
> different files:
>
> "The method remove(Object) is ambiguous for the type
> Chain".
>
> One instance of this is in SootClass.java, line 200
>
> Does someone know why ?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bharathi