[Soot-list] Declaring fields in jasmin

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at mail.mcgill.ca
Sun Nov 23 13:06:57 EST 2008

> I think I found the problem. It works if I put the .field before any
> methods. Jasmin seams to wish to have the fields to be before the
> methods...

Right, that makes sense, because the class file layout has the same
requirements IIRC.

>> I am not sure what documentation you are talking about. I have never
>> seen any documentation on Jasmin (and I am not saying that this is a
>> good thing either).
>
> http://jasmin.sourceforge.net/instructions.html

This version of Jasmin has not much to do with the version of Jasmin
that Soot uses. Some time ago, Ondrej Lhotak once wrote me the
following. (I assume he doesn't mind me quoting this here.)

"My recollection of the history of Jasmin is as follows. When Soot
started, it used Jasmin and extended it to allow attributes to be
communicated to VMs (see the work on aray bounds check attributes). At
the time, Soot tracked Jasmin development. New versions of Jasmin were
imported into Soot and the extensions were reapplied to them. Around
2000 or 2001, Jasmin development was abandoned by its original authors.
Thus, for several years, the Soot version of Jasmin was the only version
of Jasmin being maintained, and the Sourceforge version was dead. When
development of Java 5 support for Soot began, the Soot version of Jasmin
with attributes was extended to support annotations (very similar to
attributes). Shortly thereafter, somebody picked up the previously
abandoned Jasmin codebase on Sourceforge, and started maintaining it and
extending it to support annotations. Thus, the annotation support in the
Soot Jasmin is unlikely to be compatible with the independently designed
annotation support in the revived Sourceforge Jasmin, because the
designers of the latter were not aware of the Soot version of Jasmin."

Eric Bodden
Sable Research Group, McGill University, Montréal, Canada
Got an interesting job offer? http://www.bodden.de/hire-me/