[Soot-list] Using Soot as a library / PhaseOptions

Matthew Hague Matthew.Hague at comlab.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 27 10:19:04 EST 2008

> you really need to know what you are doing.

I'm working on it...

> Are you loading classes into Soot "on demand" or all at the same time?

There's an element of "on demand" loading going on: the tool i'm developing
uses its own implementation of certain (mainly standard library) classes, and
any calls to these classes get replaced by calls to another class.  The tool's
own classes get loaded when they are needed.

Currently i'm working on adding a phase to "cg" (that would ideally be in
"jb") that replaces method calls as appropriate, avoiding the need to load
the classes on the fly.  At any rate, these classes are fairly lightweight,
so i don't mind if they're not optimised or annotated &c, so i only call
runPacks once, after the "main" class of the program being analysed is loaded
(and its supporting classes).

However, we hadn't really intended the tool to require a main class with a
main method.  This makes things kinda awkward, but for now i'm content to
deal with these issues alone.

Thanks,

Matt