[Soot-list] Why create temp$xx variables?

Patrick Lam plam at sable.mcgill.ca
Wed Apr 22 13:48:29 EDT 2009

Peng Du wrote:
> Thanks, Hamid
>
> I think your solution will work. Just curious about those temp$
> variables. There got be some more elegant way to eliminate those. I
> tried lots of command line options, as well Eclipse plugin, all of them
> generated temp$.
>
>  I will try your idea as a last resort.

-src-prec jimple doesn't generate temp$ variables because they've been
optimized away by the copy and constant propagators when Soot created
the Jimple in the first place.

The more elegant way to eliminate them is what Soot normally does, the
copy and constant propagators. It's an artifact of the way that Soot
creates three-address code from stack-based code. You don't quite seem
to understand this, but I suggest that you figure out what's going on
before proceeding.

pat