[Soot-list] Change default visibility in Soot to protected?

Eric Bodden bodden at st.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Aug 14 05:46:04 EDT 2009

Hi all.

This is an email to fellow contributors to Soot. In the past there
have often been problems with Soot because some internal fields were
inaccessible, often because they used default visibility. With such
visibility, a field is only visible to classes in the same package,
but *not* to sub-classes. This can hinder extensibility.

Therefore I was wondering if we should do a batch change and change
all default visible fields in Soot to being protected. Protected
access makes a field visible to sub-classes *and* to the same package,
so the change should only widen visibility.

What do others think?

Eric Bodden
Software Technology Group
Technical University Darmstadt, Germany