[Soot-list] Using soot to optimize transactional memory

Arie Zilberstein arie.zilberstein at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 04:29:26 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'm working on an software transactional memory (STM) implementation in
Java.

The idea is that methods marked with @Atomic annotation will execute
atomically with respect to each other. This means that at runtime, every
method reachable from an @Atomic method will have a variant which logs all
reads and writes. The @Atomic method itself will call those variants and
will handle the logic to commit or rollback and retry, as necessary.

Currently my goal is to optimize the STM. There are several opportunities
for optimizations. For example, all operations on non-shared objects, do not
need to be logged. This includes objects which were created inside a
transaction.

I wonder what kind of analyses can Soot offer in this area? I am trying to
understand what Soot is currently offering before I go and roll my own code.
I noticed some interesting classes such as the ThreadLocalObjectsAnalysis
class, but they seem tailored for regular synchronization.

I would appreciate any input.

Best,

Arie