[Soot-list] Soot-list Digest, Vol 52, Issue 7

Eric Bodden bodden at st.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Aug 28 08:18:35 EDT 2009

> I am a new comer to use the Soot framework. And I am trying to do
> data-flow testing with Soot.
> I wonder whether Soot can extract the def-use chains from the source
> code file or its byte code file
> please?

Hi Martin.

Yes you can just instantiate SmartLocalDefs:
http://www.sable.mcgill.ca/soot/doc/soot/toolkits/scalar/SmartLocalDefs.html

You can run Soot on source code or bytecode. All of Soot"s analyses
run on an intermediate representation called Jimple, which Soot
creates from either source or bytecode.

You can get started quite quickly with Soot if you use the Eclipse
plugin.  This plugin can generate some example stubs for you. Seee
here:
http://www.bodden.de/2008/08/30/soot-eclipse-plugin-tutorial/

Eric Bodden
Software Technology Group