[Soot-list] Linking Jimple code to Java code for capture-and-replay

Sai Zhang racezhang at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 03:22:15 EDT 2010

Hey all:

I am wondering is there a convenient way to link Jimple code to Java code
at the variable-level? For instance, in implementing a capture-replay tool,
we need to record (capture) the current object states and recover that in
the replay phase. Thus, it could need to "link jimple code to Java code".
(i could be wrong on this point)

For instance,  consider a simplest example as follows:

public void m(object arg1, object arg2) {

Object b =  SomeClass.StaticField;  (or a global field)

// for a capture and replay tool, we need to
//save the state of object "this", "arg1", "arg2", and
"SomeClass.StaticField"

}

When implementing such a tool using Soot, "this", "arg1", "arg2"...
will be translated into r0, r1, r2 ... (JImpleLocal vars). In such cases,
how could we save the original states of  "this, arg1, arg2" and the global
field?
That is how to link the jimple code (JimpleLocal) to the actual java code?
Merely saving the states of r0, r1, r2 seems to be not a perfect solution.

PS. Is there any publicly available capture-and-replay tools implemented
based on Soot?

Thanks a lot.

--  Sai