[Soot-list] Resolving Level Problem

Asif Iqbal iqbala24 at mcmaster.ca
Tue Oct 12 21:41:32 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I  am using Soot from my own java application and I have the
following  code segment:

import soot.*;
String[] args = {"-f", "xml", "Audio"};   // I have a class called Audio
Main.main(args);
args[2] = "Location";  // Another class called Location
Main.main(args);

The first call to Soot's Main.main() runs successfully (for Audio
class) and generates the desired xml file. But the second call fails
(for Location class ) raising an exception saying:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: This operation
requires resolving level SIGNATURES but Location is at resolving level
HIERARCHY
If you are extending Soot, try to add the following call before
calling soot.Main.main(..):
Scene.v().addBasicClass(Location,SIGNATURES);
Otherwise, try whole-program mode (-w)

I have tried with other class files and it seems that in any case the
first call succeeds but the second doesn't. I suspect during the first
call, some internal setting of Soot might have been changed (?). I
know there were previous emails regarding same kind of problem but
those didn't help me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Asif Iqbal