[Soot-list] one question about the local variables

jiangfan shi jiangfan.shi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 01:43:42 EDT 2011

Dear All,

I may ask a simple question here, but I really do not understand that.  Some
papers related to points-to analysis say the following:

"Local variables (including formals) for both primitive and reference types
in Java cannot  have aliases."

Maybe I do not capture the point, but I could not understand why local
variables can not have aliases? For example,

void m1(){

MyClass o1=new MyClass();
MyClass o2=new MyClass();

o1=o2;

}

For the above code snippet, m1 is a method, and MyClass is a class. Doesn't
the last assignment statement make these two local variables, o1 and o2,
alias?

For another example related to formal parameters,

void m2(MyClass o1, MyClass o2){

o1=o2;
}

With the same explanation of these symbols, I am thinking o1 and o2 are now
alias.

Any hints are highly appreciated, Thanks.

Jiangfan