[Soot-list] Does soot support java 7?

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at ec-spride.de
Tue Dec 27 08:25:13 EST 2011

Hi Prashant.

I had some student implement Java 7 support, i.e., support for the
invokedynamic bytecode. Unfortunately, we did this based on a beta
version of the Java 7 JDK and hence the support is currently broken
because for some reason Sun/Oracle changed the design slightly at the
last minute.

Having said that, the support should still be virtually complete. The
only things that changed (and hence are currently broken) is the
conversion from bytecode to Baf, and from Jasmin back to bytecode.
Hence I guess this could easily be fixed if someone volunteered to
spend a couple of hours on this.

Another problem I recently hit is to actually get my hands on Java 7
bytecode that contains invokedynamic bytecodes. In the beta version
there was a special version of the javac compiler that would turn
method calls on the class "Invoke" automatically into invokedynamic
bytecodes. With the release version of Java 7, however, this
functionality seems to have disappeared. This, in turn, makes it hard
to test our current implementation. Any suggestions on this would be
greatly appreciated.

Eric

On 27 December 2011 01:43, Prashant Deva <prashant.deva at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does soot/jimple support java 7 class file format?
> If not, is there a timeline for the support to be added?
>
> Prashant

Eric Bodden, Ph.D., http://bodden.de/
Head of Secure Software Engineering Group at EC SPRIDE
Principal Investigator in Secure Services at CASED
Tel: +49 6151 16-75422    Fax: +49 6151 16-72051
Room 3.2.14, Mornewegstr. 30, 64293 Darmstadt