[Soot-list] strange performance issue: slower on 4-Core CPU than on a dual-Core CPU

Ding Sun xyz031702 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 24 06:09:30 EDT 2011

Dear All

    Recently I encountered a strange problem. I wrote a programming for
static path analysis using Soot Jimple API.  The first step is to load
sample classes by using:

       Scene.v().loadNecessaryClasses();

On an older PC with dual-Core (Intel Core2 Duo  E6750 2.66GHz @ 2.7 GHz, 3GB
System RAM), this step normally cost 5--10 seconds.  However, when I moved
the program to a better PC with 4-Core(Intel Core2 Q8200 2.33GHz @ 2.3
GHz,3GB System RAM),  this step cost nearlly 2-3 minutes and sometimes even
hang on for more than 5 minutes.

I used some system diagnose software to evaluate the two PC, the latter PC
obtained a much better score.

Other applications including MS Office, Eclipse and some other java
applications work fine, which didn't show any difference on performance.

Does anyone has hints?  Is it possible because Soot may work better on a
single Core CPU with very high Clock other than on a multi Core CPU with low
Clock ?

Best Regards,

Ding Sun