[Soot-list] Spark as default pointer analysis

Zell zell08v at orange.fr
Thu Aug 16 12:41:56 EDT 2012

Hello,
Hey,

This is quite Interesting. I may be totally wrong, but here is my thinking:

For the non-expert Soot users, spark  seems to be highly resource-  and too
time-consuming. Enabling Spark by default might scare them away from using
Soot; For those who know well Soot, they should be willing to enable
manually Spark I suppose.

I would vote for 'yes' if there is easy ways to make Spark run locally and
conservatively, without analyzing 1736 classes for even a tiny "hi, world!"

Apparently, the -no-bodies-for-excluded and -allow-phahtom-classes go in
this direction. I guess the analyses could be unsound then? An interesting
question is really,  under what *exact* conditions, Spark with those
options enabled still gives still sound results.   Then, it might be more
appropriate to enable SOOT by default, in my humble opinion.

Zell.