[Soot-list] Do I understand traps?

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at ec-spride.de
Tue Jan 17 04:40:38 EST 2012

Hi Martin.

While this exception is documented in the JavaDoc, there is no actual
exception annotation on the method in the JDK's bytecode:

$ javap javax.swing.text.JTextComponent | grep setCaretPosition
    public void setCaretPosition(int);

You can also see it in the source...

>            public void setCaretPosition(int position) {

That's why Soot says that the method "does not throw anything".
Basically, this means that the method does not throw any *checked*
exceptions.

> When debugging into the sootMethod, I find a trap that handles this
> exception including a catch-block, i.e., it is not thrown out.

The trap would then originate from a try/catch block in the source
code this sootMethod was generated from.