[Soot-list] Soot needs better documentation

Prashant Deva prashant.deva at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 19:30:02 EST 2012

Current I dont think there is good enough documentation for Soot for real
commercial projects to spend time and money to use it.

If you look at the asm framework, I have no doubt that a large part of why
its popular is due to its excellent Developer Guide:
http://download.forge.objectweb.org/asm/asm4-guide.pdf

It serves as a great book and a great reference and doumentation for
whoever wants to use asm.

I see that nothing of that sort exists for Soot.
If I go to the 'Resources' page, all i see are tons and tons of academic
papers.

I think if a good comprehensive guide for Soot was put together, it would
see a lot more usage and even contributions.

We ourselves tried to use and even contribute to Soot, but the lack of
proper documentation made things so tough that we rather wrote the
algorithms by hand which probably are already implemented in Soot.

There is no point in having a great library if you don't have great
documentation to accompany it.

I would rather take a less functional, fully documented library which I can
atleast use.

Prashant