[Soot-list] Why JSubExpr if Jimple does not have subexpression?

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at ec-spride.de
Fri Jul 6 12:29:31 EDT 2012

Hi Zell.

> However, I think that the two Jimple does not necessarily behave equally for
> program analyzers.  Consider the uniqueness analysis of Fink et al´ss
> "typestate verification."  (ISSTA'06).  An abstract object is " unique" if
> it is pointed to by a single live pointer. Imagine an analysis that only
> traces abstract objects  pointed to by single pointer, live or not, then
> different results will be given from the 2 different Jimple. What do you
> think?

Yes you are right that the program's structure may matter to
individual program analyses. That's however, why many program anlayses
use transformations prior to actually applying the analysis itself.
For instance, you can use Soot's CopyPropagator to remove unnecessary
assignments, thereby moving from jimple-w to jimple-wo.