[Soot-list] Geometric Encoding: points-to set

Florian Strauß f_straus at cs.uni-kl.de
Fri Jun 8 11:50:36 EDT 2012

Hello,

thanks for your help in the past.

For my alias analysis I am using the Geometric Encoding approach. It works
fine in most of the cases, but I am wondering about the results in the
following example:

public class AMain {

       Object field = new Object();

             AMain thisMain = new AMain();

             Object alias = thisMain.field;

             alias.equals(alias);

If I ask for all reachable Objects of field, I expect a representation of
new Object().

Unfortunately, the returned points-to set is empty. Do you have an idea,
what am I doing wrong?

More details about my configuration:

I use the following options

             Options.v().setPhaseOption("cg","implicit-entry:false");

             //spark configuration

             Options.v().setPhaseOption("cg.spark","enabled:true");

             Options.v().setPhaseOption("cg.spark","string-constants:true");

             Options.v().setPhaseOption("cg.spark","field-based:false");

Options.v().setPhaseOption("cg.spark","empties-as-allocs:true");

             Options.v().setPhaseOption("cg.spark","on-fly-cg:true");

Options.v().setPhaseOption("cg.spark","merge-stringbuffer:false");

             //Spark + Geometric Encoding

             Options.v().setPhaseOption("cg.spark","geom-pta:true");

I cannot explain the results of
Scene.v().getPointsToAnalysis().reachingObjects(local, field);

If I use Spark only (= geom-pta:false), then it returns an allocation node
(AllocNode 4 new java.lang.Object in method <AMain: void <init>()>,) , which
is the same allocation node being reachable from the local variable alias.
Otherwise the points-to sets of thisMain.field  and  alias are different,
because the points-to set of alias is empty.

Could you please help me?

Have a good weekend

Florian