[Soot-list] Condition propagation implemented in a ForwardBranchedFlowAnalysis?

Sean Wedig sean.wedig at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 19:49:36 EDT 2012

Hello Soot list!

I'm pretty new to Soot and program analysis in general, so please be
gentle.  :)

I'd like to transform an application to insert dynamic observations about
the conditions under which code executes.  I'd like to be able to step
through a CFG and make simple assertions like "condition1 && condition2 are
true when we got to this point in the program", where condition1 and
condition2 are based on the conditions from IfStmts.

In the flow analysis tutorial, the flow analysis menagerie's JavaDoc, and
in Eric's post on intra-procedural analysis, I've seen indications that a
ForwardBranchedFlowAnalysis would be the way to do some of this - each of
those indicate that the FBFA is the best when we want to propogate, e.g. "p
!= null" down one branch and "p == null" down the other.

Is there a simple reference implementation of propagating if/then/else
conditions down the branches?  Has anyone implemented something like this
already?

(I feel like it's a pretty simple thing to do, but I haven't quite gotten
my head around all the flow analysis methodology yet.)

-Sean