[Soot-list] Complete inter-procedural data flow analysis example?

Patrick Lam plam at sable.mcgill.ca
Mon Jun 18 10:38:02 EDT 2012

On 06/18/12 10:28, Amit wrote:
> I have seen lots of code snippets and bits and pieces of information
> on how to write inter-procedural data flow analysis. However, I could
> not find a complete example with full working source code.
> Does something like this exist?

There is not yet any inter-procedural analysis framework committed to
the Soot repository. Eric has an implementation of IFDS that he's
working on. People have developed ad-hoc inter-procedural analyses, like
the call graph construction.

> Does the data flow analysis using soot (via extending
> ForwardFlowAnalysis, etc) have anything to do with the sections on
> "Extending soot's main class" (by extending BodyTransformer, etc) or
> are they two completely unrelated ideas?

Yes. You extend a BodyTransformer to get Soot to run your code. Within
that BodyTransformer, you instantiate your custom FlowAnalysis and do
something interesting (transform, annotate) with the results.

pat