[Soot-list] Implement a flow-sensitive points-to analyzer with SOOT?

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at ec-spride.de
Tue Mar 20 11:08:06 EDT 2012

Hi Zell.

I think you would have to implement your very own analysis if you
really want to be flow-sensitive. The problem is that to date there
are no efficient algorithms yet for fully flow-sensitive points-to
analyses (any maybe there never will be). Hence this has not yet been
implemented.

One simple thing you can do is combine intra-procedural flow-sensitive
information with the regular points-to information. We have
implemented an interface called "object representatives" that allows
you to combine all this information automatically. See here:

http://www.bodden.de/2008/08/05/new-publication-object-representatives-a-uniform-abstraction-for-pointer-information/

For many use cases, this interface should be a good
performance/precision tradeoff.

Eric

On 20 March 2012 15:35, Z <zell08v at orange.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know how to implement a flow-sensitive points-to analyzer
> with SOOT? Can I use the library of Spark/Paddle? Apparently they are build
> in flow-insensitive, and I have not found options to make them sensitive to
> control flow. Am I obliged to implement it from scratch as a standard
> dataflow problem?
>
> It is difficult for me to get started with SOOT. You and your documents are
> so helpful, thank you.
>
> Zell.

Eric Bodden, Ph.D., http://bodden.de/
Head of Secure Software Engineering Group at EC SPRIDE
Principal Investigator in Secure Services at CASED
Tel: +49 6151 16-75422    Fax: +49 6151 16-72051
Room 3.2.14, Mornewegstr. 30, 64293 Darmstadt