[Soot-list] Jimple optimizations before Shimple transformation

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at ec-spride.de
Mon Oct 1 18:24:47 EDT 2012

Hi Daniel.

I think you could apply the transformations you need within a
ScenTransformer that you stick into the wspp ("Whole-Shimple
Pre-processing Pack") pack. That one should run before the other
shimple transformations.

Cheers,
Eric

On 1 October 2012 08:21, Daniel Wainwright <daniel at libwebsite.so> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to perform some instrumentation with Soot using the Shimple
> representation, and I would like to have some optimizations from the Jimple
> optimization pack run before the instrumentation phase that I am writing. I
> believe that some optimizations would help to reduce the amount of
> instrumentation that I would need, such as constant folding and dead
> assignment elimination.
>
> However, I understand that Soot  will always run the Shimple transformation
> pack before all Jimple packs. Is there a way I can ask Soot to translate the
> output of the Jimple optimization pack into Shimple, so that I can benefit
> from these optimizations before the instrumentation? (The final output that
> I would like from this all is instrumented class files, but with minimum
> instrumentation.)
>
> I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything in the
> archives. Thanks for your help.
> Daniel

Eric Bodden, Ph.D., http://sse.ec-spride.de/ http://bodden.de/
Head of Secure Software Engineering Group at EC SPRIDE
Tel: +49 6151 16-75422    Fax: +49 6151 16-72051
Room 3.2.14, Mornewegstr. 30, 64293 Darmstadt