[Soot-list] ThrowableSet comparison with "!="

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at ec-spride.de
Wed Sep 5 10:45:35 EDT 2012

Thanks for reporting this Thomas.

Indeed this looks bogus. I actually wonder why this check never failed
before. I have now changed to using equals(..).

Eric

On 4 September 2012 16:42, Thomas Pilot
<t_pilot at rbg.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
> Hello soot-list,
>
> on the current master branch of soot, at the end of
> soot.toolkits.graph.ExceptionalUnitGraph.buildExceptionDests(ThrowAnalysis)
> two ThrowableSets are compared with "!=" multiple times.
>
> At that point, for some reason, I managed to have an empty thrownSet
> which is not  ThrowableSet.Manager.v().EMPTY. This leads to the "!="
> comparison being false and the IllegalStateException in line 367 being
> thrown, although the ThrowableSet's contents are equal.
>
> I suggest implementing the equals() method in ThrowableSet and using it
> for comparison at least there.
>
> -Thomas
>
> [1] APK = android package, so soot is able to generate android apps
> [2] http://www.sable.mcgill.ca/pipermail/soot-list/2006-October/000859.html

Eric Bodden, Ph.D., http://bodden.de/
Head of Secure Software Engineering Group at EC SPRIDE
Tel: +49 6151 16-75422    Fax: +49 6151 16-72051
Room 3.2.14, Mornewegstr. 30, 64293 Darmstadt