[Soot-list] Jimple optimizations before Shimple transformation

Daniel Wainwright daniel at libwebsite.so
Sun Sep 30 22:21:10 EDT 2012

Hi,

I am trying to perform some instrumentation with Soot using the Shimple
representation, and I would like to have some optimizations from the Jimple
optimization pack run before the instrumentation phase that I am writing. I
believe that some optimizations would help to reduce the amount of
instrumentation that I would need, such as constant folding and dead
assignment elimination.

However, I understand that Soot  will always run the Shimple transformation
pack before all Jimple packs. Is there a way I can ask Soot to translate
the output of the Jimple optimization pack into Shimple, so that I can
benefit from these optimizations before the instrumentation? (The final
output that I would like from this all is instrumented class files, but
with minimum instrumentation.)

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything in the
archives. Thanks for your help.
Daniel