[Soot-list] Unrecognized bytecode instruction: 168

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at ec-spride.de
Wed Apr 3 12:17:44 EDT 2013

Hi Michael.

Soot currently uses a heuristic to eliminate JSRs from Jimple code.
This heuristics works 99.9% of the time but not always. In your case
it fails. JSRs are forbidden since Java 1.5, I believe, so you must
have some really old bytecode. It should not occur in newer code.

Eric

On 14 March 2013 12:08, Michael Faes <rolve at trick17.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your answer. The problem also happens when just converting to
> Jimple (-f J):
>
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: Unrecognized
> bytecode instruction: 168
>    at soot.coffi.CFG.generateJimple(CFG.java:4637)
>    at soot.coffi.CFG.jimplify(CFG.java:1267)
>    at soot.coffi.CFG.jimplify(CFG.java:955)
>    at soot.coffi.CoffiMethodSource.getBody(CoffiMethodSource.java:100)
>    at soot.SootMethod.getBodyFromMethodSource(SootMethod.java:89)
>    at soot.SootMethod.retrieveActiveBody(SootMethod.java:322)
>    at soot.PackManager.retrieveAllBodies(PackManager.java:1038)
>    at soot.PackManager.runPacksNormally(PackManager.java:371)
>    at soot.PackManager.runPacks(PackManager.java:335)
>    at soot.Main.run(Main.java:198)
>    at soot.Main.main(Main.java:141)
>
> Michael
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Betreff: Re: [Soot-list] Unrecognized bytecode instruction: 168
> Von: Quentin Sabah <quentin.sabah at inria.fr>
> An: soot-list at sable.mcgill.ca
> Datum: 14.03.2013 11:22
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Might come from soot.coffi.CFG.eliminateJsrRets() (instruction 168 is
>> Jsr)... but I don't know that part of the source code.
>> I see you are using Shimple, do you get the same problem with Jimple ?

Eric Bodden, Ph.D., http://sse.ec-spride.de/ http://bodden.de/
Head of Secure Software Engineering Group at EC SPRIDE
Tel: +49 6151 16-75422    Fax: +49 6151 16-72051
Room 3.2.14, Mornewegstr. 30, 64293 Darmstadt