[Soot-list] Dexpler

Saswat Anand saswat78 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 01:46:29 EDT 2013

I tried Dexpler on about two hunderd apk's. In ~90% of the APK's,
Dexpler/soot generates useful .class files. By useful, I mean I can run
some Chord-based static analysis on those class file. This success rate of
Dexpler is very impressive. Thanks to the Dexpler authors for sharing the
tool.

While using it, I noticed the following performance problem in the Dexpler
code.

In soot.dexpler.DexBody class, there are multiple calls as the following,
which get executed for each method of each class.

Debug.printDbg(""+(Body)jBody);

The type of jBody is soot.jimple.JimpleBody. The result of the above call
is that the entire body is prettyprinted to a String even when the debug
file is *not* set and thus, the pretty-printed string never gets used.

Saswat