[Soot-list] Why is not soot used in the workflow of a modern Java compiler?

Zhoulai zell08v at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 02:13:05 EST 2013

Hello,

I have a very naive question.

Since SOOT can be used to optimize Java codes, say, by eliminating dead
codes, or by constant propagation, etc. Why isn’t it integrated into modern
compiler like javac as a post-processing step so that they could have
produced more efficient codes?

One might think that  SOOT takes too much time.   However, I feel (although
not sure)  that even a simple  intra-procedural analysis like those built
in SOOT could have improved significantly bytecodes compiled by Javac, and
such intra-procedural can be very fast I suppose. So  there should be
practical reasons explaining  why  these optimisations in Soot not
integrated as a part of Javac’s workflow? Can anyone clarify this point? Many
thanks.

Zhoulai