[Soot-list] Usage of context-sensitive PTAs

Richard Xiao richardxx at cse.ust.hk
Wed Feb 6 00:49:20 EST 2013

Hi, Sabah:

Have you tried directly calling pta.reachingObjects(r5) with cs-demand and
geom-pta? These two analyses will return the merged context sensitive
results (but the analysis is still context sensitive, hereby the result is
more precise). Maybe that can serve your purpose.

Another issue is that, have you updated your soot code to the newest
version? Many changes have made since soot 2.5 for geom-pta.

And, if you wish, you can send me your test code and I can have a look for
you with geom-pta.

Regards,
Xiao

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 12:56 AM, Quentin Sabah <quentin.sabah at inria.fr>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am wondering if I can find documentation or any example code showing
> the usage of context-sensitive points-to-analyses in Soot.
>
> The PointsToAnalysis interface defines some methods taking a Context.
> The documentation states that a Context is either a unit or a Spark
> AllocNode. I would have expected to specify some kind of list of
> call-graph edge...
>
> I naïvely tried to pass Stmt units when calling reachingObjects(), first
> using the demand-driven context-sensitive analysis of Spark, and then
> using the geometric analysis of Spark. However none of these experiments
> succeeded:
>
> Given s an invocation statement of the form:
> virtualinvoke r4.<MyClass: void myMethod(java.lang.Object)>(r5);
> with r5 being of a reference type, I call pta.reachingObjects(s, r5).
>
> - '-w -p -cg.spark' gives the context-insensitive answer as expected.
> - using '-w -p cg.spark enabled,cs-demand', I simply get an
> UnsupportedOperationException (hard-coded in the sources).
> - using '-w -p cg.spark enabled,geom-pta', I only get an EmptyPointsToSet.
>
> Sooo I guess I'm "doing it wrong" (should I mention that I set
> -no-bodies-for-excluded for these little experiments). Any clue ?
>
> Regards.
>
> --
> Quentin Sabah, CIFRE Ph.D. student
> Grenoble University
> INRIA-SARDES                   | STMicroelectronics/AST
> Montbonnot, France             | Grenoble, France
> mailto:quentin.sabah at inria.fr  | mailto:quentin.sabah at st.com
> phone: +33 476 61 54 57        | phone: +33 476 58 44 14

Richard Xiao Xiao
PhD Student @ CSE @ Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
www.cse.ust.hk/~richardxx