[Soot-list] Seeking proposals for Google Summer Of Code projects

Richard Xiao richardxx at cse.ust.hk
Sun Feb 17 13:00:20 EST 2013

Hi, Eric:

Routev's IDE summary is only applied to distributive data flow problems,
non-distributive data flow problems such as points-to analysis, heap
analysis, etc, cannot benefit from that summary. However, in my experience,
the most expensive part is always the interprocedural non-distributive data
flow analysis. Maybe adding a proposal for non-distributive summary is also
a good idea.

Best,
Xiao

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Eric Bodden <eric.bodden at ec-spride.de>wrote:

> > A long time ago, I tried to dump Jimple to disk and re-parse it. It
> > didn't save that much time for me. It shouldn't be hard to give that a
> > try and see if it's actually faster; caching it on the web is only going
> > to be faster if it's faster to read it from disk.
>
> I agree.
>
> The other thing we realized is the following: When using a standard
> analysis mechanism such as our IDE solver then it should be possible
> to cache instead of the full Jimple just summary information about
> this Jimple code with respect to a particular (IDE based) data-flow
> analysis. If, for an API, such summaries are fully available then one
> would not even load the Jimple for the library any more at all. This
> would basically be a refinement of this work:
>
> Atanas Rountev, Mariana Sharp, and Guoqing Xu. 2008. IDE dataflow
> analysis in the presence of large object-oriented libraries. In
> Proceedings of the Joint European Conferences on Theory and Practice
> of Software 17th international conference on Compiler construction
> (CC'08/ETAPS'08), Laurie Hendren (Ed.). Springer-Verlag, Berlin,
> Heidelberg, 53-68.
>
> I think that would be a nice project and in fact it's one of the
> topics I proposed.

Richard Xiao Xiao
PhD Student @ CSE @ Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
www.cse.ust.hk/~richardxx