[Soot-list] Summer of Code application

Marc-Andre Laverdiere-Papineau marc-andre.laverdiere-papineau at polymtl.ca
Fri Feb 22 10:37:42 EST 2013

Hello Eric,

Comments inline.

Marc-André Laverdière-Papineau
Doctorant - PhD Candidate

On 13-02-21 09:27 AM, Eric Bodden wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am trying to decide if we are having a critical mass of committed
> people to go through with an application to the Google Summer of Code.
> If we decide to go ahead, we will need to fill out an application as
> outlined here:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2013/help_page#1._How_does_a_mentoring_organization
>
> Describe your organization.
First problem - soot developers are nor organized under some kind of
foundating. So which is the 'organization' that will apply?
> Why is your organization applying to participate in Google Summer of
> Code 2013? What do you hope to gain by participating?
I guess this is where we say that we want to build the bridge from an
academic project to one that could be used by more people.
> Has your organization participated in past Google Summer of Codes? (yes/no)
> If you answered “yes” to the question above, please summarize your
> involvement and the successes and challenges of your participation.
> Please also list your pass/fail rate for each year.
> If your organization has not previously participated in Google Summer
> of Code, have you applied in the past? If so, for what year(s)?
> What Open Source Initiative approved license(s) does your project use?
> What is the URL for your Ideas list? **This is the most important part
> of your proposal. Please make sure we can access it and it is complete
> when you submit this proposal. “Placeholder” or inaccessible ideas
> pages will be grounds for an automatic rejection for participation in
> Google Summer of Code 2013.**
> What is the main development mailing list for your organization?
> What is the main IRC channel for your organization?
Wouldn't hurt to have an IRC channel. I suggest #soot on freenode. I
just logged in, and there isn't such a channel yet.
> Who will be your backup organization administrator?
Good question. I guess that Eric is the head maintainer - but it
wouldn't hurt to have more maintainers :)
> What criteria did you use to select the mentors? Please be as specific
> as possible.
Going to be hard - there must be ~20 people in the world who have a good
handle on Soot - and I'm not sure I qualify!!!
> What is your plan for dealing with disappearing students? Please be as
> specific as possible.
Daily follow-ups?
> What is your plan for dealing with disappearing mentors? Please be as
> specific as possible.
That's a tough one... Can we consider dual mentorship?
> What steps will you take to encourage students to interact with your
> project's community before, during and after the program?
We could say that most people using Soot are students ;)
> Are you a new organization who has a Googler or other organization to
> vouch for you? If so, please list their name(s) here.
> Are you an established or larger organization who would like to vouch
> for a new organization applying this year? If so, please list their
> name(s) here.
> What will you do to encourage that your accepted students stick with
> the project after Google Summer of Code concludes?
1+ publication???

> I could submit the application but I would certainly need help
> preparing it, plus I would need a "backup organization administrator"
> for times during which I am afk. Also we will need a list of serious
> project proposals in the style of
> http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2011/Ideas#Project:_KStars:_Printing_support
> Note that if you propose a project you really _must_ agree to devote
> the time to supervise a student working on this project.
>
> So to everyone: It would be great if you could let me know whether you
> are interested in (co-)mentoring a student and whether you would
> volunteer to help draft an application and/or even be a "backup
> organization administrator". This here is a writeup that can help in
> making this decision: http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/
I couldn't read the whole thing - but I have a feeling that I could
co-mentor a student, at least for helping them get started. The only
thing I could think of is the visual debugger thing - but I need to
understand this more.